Friday, July 10, 2009

My plans, or God's plans...I think I'll go with His.


When I woke up this morning I fully intended to be on the road at 10:00 a.m. to carry the cross. I was going to walk all day and I knew which direction that I was going to head. These days I am being very careful and sensitive to God’s leading and the direction my path should be each time I go out.

I had breakfast at 7:00 a.m. with a few guys from church and then tried to head home. As I cranked the van to leave I noticed that our weakening car battery was getting much weaker, so I decided to head to the auto parts store for a battery. Got that, and then decided to go to the church to see if I could get some handout material for the streets today while carrying the cross. One hour and a half later, I finally left the church and headed home. By that time it was time for lunch time, so I ate.

At 1:00 p.m. I finally made it out the door to walk the cross. I was not very happy with myself because I had not made it to the streets when I thought I should be out there. Notice I said, “When I thought I should be out there”. Apparently, God does not go by my plans for the day because He had something very special waiting for me just down the road.

As I learned later, Rachel had felt the Lord urging her to pray for someone that she felt was going to need to see the cross at the exact time I left, and not when I expected to leave. As I left I began to ask the Lord to still work in someone in particular even though I had left at a later time.

Then it happened. As I was walking on Highway 59, a short distance from our house, I noticed a young girl starting to walk behind me. She had just left the grocery store and apparently was walking home with groceries in hand. As we continued a block or two, she caught up with me and walked right beside me. With an accent, this young Chinese girl asked me why I was carrying the cross.

As I began to explain to her the story of Jesus, I quickly learned that her name was Lin (picture shown above) and that she was an 18 year old, foreign exchange student from China. She was here for the summer and she knew very little about our Saviour. We walked for several blocks together and I shared many things about God and the Bible with her. She was very open to our conversation and was intrigued to know more. She was so eager to learn more, that she invited me up to share some tea and talk with her and her roommates about the stories I was telling.

With her friends in the same room, I laid out the history my life and the story of Jesus. I expressed to her that she also needed a Savour. As we closed our conversation, I expressed to her that I would love to share more with her about the way to eternal life. She expressed a sincere eagerness to know more and to attend church with us.

I was very impressed with Lin. She seems to be a very sweet girl and I hope that our family can develop a deep and lasting friendship with her. I hope to introduce her to the possibility of having a Bible study with her and at the same time I would love to know more about her life while living in China. Pray for Lin. She knows she has a purpose in life and I pray she finds it

During my 10 mile hike today I spoke with several about the Lord. I had a very meaningful conversation with a girl named Felicia. She is seeking direction in her life and I pray that she will contact me again so that we can help her.

Thank God that His plans are not “my plans”. I thank the Lord for His sovereignty. Without it, I would have possibly missed the wonderful opportunities that I was given today.

Continue to …..Spread the WORD!!

Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment