Thursday, August 20, 2009

There is Hope in the midst of Tragedy.

Stop! Stop everything you are doing and please read this with complete attention. This entry into my journal of blogs is without a doubt the most tragic set of circumstances that I have encountered while carrying the cross in Gulf Shores. The story I am about to tell will anger you, and break your heart at the same time. As you read you will witness the devastation that one family has suffered through the untimely death of a child. Though horrific events have occurred, there is still hope. As I unfold this chapter of brokenness, you will see how the intersection of my calling and one woman named Carls was ordained and orchestrated by our loving and sovereign God.

Setting out to carry the cross that day, I knew with surety that I was to focus totally on the sandy beaches. Most of you know that each day I carry the cross I follow the path that God lays upon my heart for that particular day. I take only the paths he tells me to take as I walk on that day. I knew that I was to head straight to the beach. So that's what I did.

As I trudged through the thick sands I walked with confidence that something great was going to happen. As I walked, God worked. The beach was crowded and I had to wiggle my way between layers of vacationers. Thousands of beach goers watched me with shock as I walked by them dragging this huge symbol of the Crucifixion. The day was going so well that, as an estimate, I was able to directly speak to approximately one hundred people about Jesus and why I was carrying the cross. As I spoke to the last group of people, I turned to head off the sands and set my sights toward the road to home.

Still on the sands, I heard a lady cry out to me, "Barry!". As I turned to find the voice she again said, "Barry. That is your name, isn't it?" I smiled and said, "Yes, it is. Do I know you?" She said, "I am Carla, and I'm sorry but I was listening to your conversation with those other people." We began to talk and she expressed that she was glad to see me out there.

At one point, early on in our conversation I stopped and asked her if she loved Jesus. I asked her what "loving Jesus" meant to her. She simply stated, "He is my Savior, and I lean on Jesus every day." When she said that, I felt the Holy Spirit urge me to reply to her, "Jesus has saved you from a lot of things, hasn't he?". I immediately had a sense that she had been through some tragic times.

She turned her head and looked away for a moment. With a deep breath she turned to look back at me with tears in her eyes. Then it happened. She broke my heart. She began to tell me the story that turned her life upside down. She said, "Barry, my two year old granddaughter was murdered in May of this year. My family and I came to this beach to get away from the heartache for a week, but all I see are little girls playing on this beach and having fun. They are everywhere. It's not fair. I don't understand it."

By the end of that opening statement I was crying with her. Honestly, I myself was in shock, but I knew God had placed me there to help her. As Carla continued, she told me that her granddaughter's name is Allyson. She told me that her son was separated from Allyson's mother and that the mother's boyfriend had killed the two and a half year old little girl. It is believed that the boyfriend was keeping precious, little Allyson while her mother was at work. They think that Allyson had a dirty diaper and that angered the boyfriend and he picked her up and threw her into a wall. The impact crushed her skull which caused severe damage to her brain. Sweet little Allyson was a fighter and hung on for two weeks until she passed away.
Carla told me that the boyfriend has been charged with capital murder and is in jail without bond. Of course, he is denying any knowledge of the event. (Due to the guidelines of our court system, he is not yet convicted and must be presumed innocent until that is proven.)

As I cried for Carla and her family, I knew why I was there. I knew that I was to try to give her hope for a new day. Not one without the pain of her loss, but one of victory through this tragedy.

With tears in my eyes, I told Carla that I didn't understand why this tragedy had occurred either, and that I didn't know why Allyson and her family had to endure something so unfair. I did know this, that God wants to do wonderful things through the sufferings of Carla and her family. As I began to share with her what was on my heart, I pointed her in the direction of hope. I encouraged her, and I prayed for her. As the Holy Spirit guided my words I told her that God hates what happened to Allyson, but that God is sovereign and He has a plan for her in all of this. I comforted her and expressed to her that little Allyson has been ushered into God's presence and has possibly been spared from even worse circumstances. Allyson, right now, is one of God's chosen to enter into the gates of beauty that far exceeds our imagination. I desperately tried to comfort her in the fact that Allyson is with God.

Just before we hugged and parted ways, I spent a few minutes trying to show her ways that God could use her to fight against these things happening to others. I impressed upon her to look for ways to pour into others that have experienced tragedy. That through those relationships God will begin to heal her tormented heart.

As Carla and I ended our conversation, she told me that she felt guilty because Allyson wanted to stay with her just before the brutality occurred. She said that Allyson cried because MaMaw Nu-Nu (Carla) had to go to work and could not keep her. They had to pull Allyson away from Carla so that she could leave. Carla said to me, "Barry, I kept asking God, 'Why?', and God just kept telling me to trust Him. Barry, you have been my angel today, and God wanted me to meet you."

All of you should know that as I wrote this blog I broke down several times and sobbed uncontrollably. I felt tremendous pain for the tragedy that occurred to Allyson. My heart aches for Carla, her son, and their family. I thanked God for the opportunity to be used in such an important way. This entire summer has overwhelmed me with the knowledge that God appointed me and my family here to help people along their path of life and to point them to the One, True, Hope.

Carla emailed me a few days later and told me that her family had been looking for a sign from God...and that I was a part of that sign the they are going to make it through this. Due to the conversaton we had, Carla and her son are planning on beginning this process of healing by writing a blog and sharing their story with others. I will keep all of you informed as I hear from them and their progress.

Please pray for Carla and her family. They have many heartaches and trials to work through. They will need the love of God to see them through this.

As for me and my family, I am truly blessed. As I share with you my struggles of making ends meet and making decisions to follow God's lead, I am fully aware that I am a blessed man to have all of my children alive and well. May God be with Carla and her family.

Keep the Faith!! Spread the WORD!!

Barry

1 comment:

  1. Barry, this precious family will be much in my prayers. I pray God continue His GOOD work in them until the day of Jesus Christ! (Phil. 1:6)No matter the tragedy, God does continue HIS GOOD WORK in His children and desires HIS best for them..I do not speak lightly for this is a very awful situation that I can only wish had never happened...May God get the glory for His plan and His purpose..

    ReplyDelete